I really should have made this post a long while ago but better late than never as they say. So here are some pictures of the final pieces and show. It wasn’t all together stress free but I was pleased with the way everything came out in the end. Stupidly I didn’t get any shots of the exhibition proper, the whole week was such a blur of activity and angst there just seemed no opportune time. So here are some shots I took while setting up for assessment complete with box’s and a beaker of wine in the corner. How did I do? well I got a distinction of course, go me!
Goodness me! it’s the last week of my MA and it follows this will doubtless be my penultimate post. The project is complete, swatches mounted and photo shoot… shot. Many thanks to my lovely model Penny Hayhurst who took time out from her own practice to help me out today. Just the show to prepare for.
I have been fortunate enough to work with a rather fabulous potter, one Neville Tatham a few times in the past couple of years. We’ve been discussing the best way to create some ceramic pieces for this project. I really enjoy collaborating with people who’s creative discipline is completely different to my own, the result is invariably quite different and far better than first envisioned. It gives one the opportunity to see how designs translate to different media and objects. Here’s a little pick of the post before the transfers bearing my designs are applied.
As I continue to think of functional domestic items to which apply my designs the humble peg bag springs to mind. I can clearly remember a dear little given to my mother by a neighbor. It hung on our line for a good few years withstanding all weathers, it was linen I think blue with white and yellow flowers.
Traditionally peg bags are a good example of repurposing garments into utilitarian items. Because they were made from old cloths and off cuts they often appeared rather fancy. A sure-fire way of jollying up the laundry it seems they are enjoying something of a renaissance. My pattern was based on this one by Hannah.
I’ve tried a few different ways of collating and presenting swatches and this is by far the most fun! While a wee book does the job, no matter how cute I make it once a project is complete the swatches languish in a draw for a year or two before hitting the bin. By making button badges the little tests become something fun and potentially a product.
Ok, so I’ve pretty much got the whole floral thing down. That is to say I’m comfortable with the way I’m painting at the moment and how all the chemise artwork is coming along. However it needs something else, something to act as a ground and link the floral element that currently ‘floats’ a little on the surface. This takes me full circle to the ideas I had at the beginning of the project of combining floral and geometric elements. The painting has been much influenced by horticultural books and illustrations from the 1900 – 1950′s. So it makes sense for other aspects of the designs to hark back to a similar era, whist hopefully remaining far enough removed from it so as not to seem like a regurgitation.
I am reminded of some scarves I enjoyed at the Southbank’s Celebration of the Festival of Britain last year, and 50′s florals that often incorporated some linear or geometric shapes.